Saturday, August 14, 2010

Coatage...

Why oh Why when the sun is warm and high in the sky do I find myself turning towards winter coats?

It's unseasonal. It's unreasonable. According to David Jones and Myer I should be equipping myself for the upcoming summer season with nudes and floral prints a la Liberty. But no, I gravitate towards Cashmere and Wool... Greys, dark purple and forest greens... The warming reds and perennial blacks...

Maybe it's the nasty cold I am trying to shake. Or maybe it's because I am spending so much time looking on UK websites in preparation for our holiday. Or maybe it was the ridiculously cold wind I encountered on the trip to the Fish Markets yesterday. But something is making me crave warmth in the form of a coat.

Particularly these coats.
Vivienne Westwood Red Label Black Classic Melton coat, 595 pounds. Very steampunk, Victoriana, maybe even with a little dash of Mary Poppins...

How Edwardian Dandy! Vivienne Westwood Anglomania Black Propoganda Coat, 495 pounds

Vivienne Westwood Anglomania Drape Dot Belted Coat, 790 pounds.

See a theme here? Not only do I have a passion for coats (and expensive ones at that), they all seem to be Vivienne Westwood... How I love our grand dame of fashion. Always chic yet edgy, her clothes are artistic creations that defy a period in time, yet seem to remain cutting edge.

Le sigh. Let's hope Mr Kitty's credit card is feeling generous when we get to London. If you are interested, all the coats pictured here are available from Liberty of London.

Kitty

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the drape coat Kitty! I love coats with a feminine silhoutte.

Louise said...

I love the first two, especially the asymmetry of the bottom of the second. I could just imagine swooshing around town in that!

My favourite coat designer is the Montreal duo Mackage. Their Summer range doesn't really appeal much but they have some beautifully detailed and constructed winter coats - something a bit different from the walking sleeping bag style that is characteristic of a Montreal winter!

Miss Kitty-Cat said...

Oh, Louise I love Mackage too! I discovered them in Canada a few years ago when I was there. Such beautiful designs - a pity you can't get them here in Australia! You can, however, but them at Saks... Hmmm... Food for thought there!

Ms Curious, I agree - these coats are distinctly feminine.

Louise said...

Miss Kitty-Cat - I only discovered them after I moved to Montreal, though it took a friend in London lusting after one for me to "find" them! They aren't cheap but I think they are more reasonably priced than VW's!