Sunday, December 5, 2010

House Inspiration...

In the recent house redesign (version 1,234,567 of the house plans) I gained a room.

I say I, not we, because it's turned into my study come sitting room. I was supposed to have a nook off the kitchen with a desk for my computer and some shelves for books - not overly spacious or inspirational. When we decided we wanted to shuffle some rooms around after consultation with council I managed to gain an actual room rather than the nook which I am very pleased about.

Putting the cart before the horse as I always seem to do, I am now looking at ways I can decorate the room. I have grand visions of a couch, a desk, a lamp, shelves, a cupboard (built in of course)... most of which probably won't fit into the room as it's not gigantic, but I will do my best. Here are some sources of inspiration I have found over the last week or so:

Source: Coco Republic

I'm not wild about the wallpaper but I love the offset shelves and the fusion of classical style and contemporary furniture. I also really like the metallic nature of the wallpaper - it makes the room glow.

The next three rooms are from Osbourne and Little.


I love the whimsical feel of this room. As a feminine retreat it ticks all the boxes but I do wonder if it's just that little too girly. The butterflies on the wallpaper are heaven though. I'm not sure about the curtains - perhaps too much?


Speaking of girly, this room is boudoir style heaven. I think the contrast between this style and the contemporary look of the rest of the house might be a bit jarring...

I have always adored the combination of pink and green and the freshness of the sofa fabric combined with splashes of fuchsia make this look chic and contemporary.

This room is soft but still contemporary. I love the soft apricots and creams and beiges. It has a warmth and elegance all of it's own.

My style and inspiration seems to still be very eclectic right now. Over the next little while I'll narrow it down a bit and will show you the results soon!

Kitty

7 comments:

TheStylishShoeGirl said...

I love all of the choices you have highlighted (great help I am!!) The last option with the neutrals wouldn't tire as easily but I guess it depends on the style of your home. PS: An additional room, fantastic news! X

Miss Kitty-Cat said...

I don't think I want to narrow them down at the moment SSG! I am luxuriating in the early stages of choice - when the decorating world is my oyster! I agree - neutrals date far less but given the rest of the house is neutral I am thinking I might go all out with my room...

Maxabella said...

I was going to say "I would love a room of my own" and then I remembered that I do have a room of my own downstairs, it's just full to the brim of all the boxes I still haven't unpacked since we moved in! You are motivating me to reorganise and get moving!!

For me, a neutral always beats an explosion. x

Miss Kitty-Cat said...

I tend to agree with you - the rest of the house is neutral because it won't date but because this is my own private little space I think I want to do something special with it.

Do it!! I am a bit fan of personal space and you won't regret clearing out all that clutter and reclaiming that room.

Stop the presses! My room is bigger than I originally anticipated! 3.4 x 3.8m!! So I can fir my couch in after all!

Semi Expat said...

How lovely - a room of your own and half the fun will be to contemplate just exactly how you want to decorate. I always love toile - both the papers for the wall and the fabric. x

Not Quite Nigella said...

I like wallpaper but more of a feature wall as it can get a little overwhelming otherwise :)

Kiki Chaos said...

Virginia Woolf was right, of course! :) When we build I'm DEFINITELY getting a room of my own. I'm so jealous of you in the mean time!